Sunday, April 11, 2010

HALF MARATHON NUMBER 2


Ran my second half Marathon yesterday at the Orewa Beach half Marathon and got home in 2hours and 3 minutes. Was a particularly hard run and I think I was a little under prepared for it so was happy to cross the finish line.

the course was two laps of the Orewa township including a 3 km run along the beach itself. the Start finish line was directly outside the local surf club so we set off along the sand. About 1km into the run there was a fairly steep climb into the streets around the bay and then the course dropped down across the causeway and out the back of Orewa. A long stretch around the back of town and we hit the beach again at about the 8km mark to run the length of the beach (approx 3km) and then back around.

the first lap (10.5km) felt great and I passed the timing clock at 52 minutes. The second lap was a lot harder and i was kicking myself for not having got some longer runs in prior to the race. I found the hills particularly hard going second time around and also walked the drinks stations on the second lap to ensure I was getting plenty of hydration in. Finally turned onto the beach and ran with a beautiful cross wind down the final stretch to get home in 2hours and 3 minutes.

My sister also ran the race and got home in 2hrs 26 which is a great effort for her first race ( seeing as she couldn't run 3 kms 6 months ago).

Lessons learnt from the race were that I need to get more hill work in for the upcoming T42 and that longer runs are a must do prior to a half. Generally the legs held up OK but I did get some cramping in my right calf which I had to stop and stretch out a couple of times.

Day off today as a reward and then off to the long runs again from tomorrow as it is now only three weeks till the 24km off road run...woohooo

1 comment:

  1. Nice race! And yeah that's a good time for your sister's first half!

    ReplyDelete